Friday, January 8, 2010

My perfume, my Obsession

I have an affinity for perfume.  Not just the yummy lucious scents but the bottles as well.  My perfume of the day is usually an extension of myself.  It tends to reflect my thoughts, mood or agenda.  Don't get me wrong, I have my standard favorite fragrance of the moment but that doesn't mean that I don't like to switch it up now and then; especially when I am feeling particularly ornery.  I must admit I even find myself on the perfume hunt with every change of the seasons. I have to find the right combination of scents: summer is citrusy, fall is musky, winter is crisp and clean and spring is soft and subtle.

I think my obsession with perfume started when I was a little girl- probably around the age of 4- when my mom and dad gave me my first bottle of perfume for my birthday or Christmas.  Although I cannot remember the name of the perfume (My mom recently made me throw away my coveted perfume bottle collection about 10 years ago; you might say I am bitter.) I can remember it was made by Avon and had a yellow cap with butterfiles on the bottle.  Anyway, I have secretly been building my perfume bottle collection again.  (Don't tell my mother- she'd probably roll her eyes in disgust and then we'd have to have a conversation about it not being necessary.)  The bottles intrigue me. Like the different scents they hold inside, the bottles are also all shaped differently.  Their shapes I find unique and interesting.  They are pretty to look at and hold a place of honor on my vanity. 

Why am I so intrigued with perfumes and their vessels?  I think it is because no matter what scent I put on my wrists or dab behind my ears it belongs to me.  You could be wearing the same perfume and it is still all my own.  My chemistry intermingles with the perfume and makes the fragrance different on my body.  Unique. Sole.  It belongs to me.  That unique scent belongs to me.  I guess perfume is just one way I like to express myself.  Kinda like this blog. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment